How long do Valium and Xanax stay in the body if taken in pill form?
One tablet of either Valium or Xanax can stay in your system for up to 3 days. If you take this medication on a daily basis, it can be in your system for up to 30 days after stopping treatment. There is no one answer to this question, because it depends on how long you have taken the medication and the daily dosage.
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking Xanax (Alprazolam)?
You should not take alprazolam if you have:
- narrow-angle glaucoma
- if you are also taking itraconazole (Sporanox) or ketoconazole (Nizoral); or
- if you are allergic to alprazolam or to other benzodiazepines, such as chlordiazepoxide (Librium), clorazepate (Tranxene), diazepam (Valium), lorazepam (Ativan), or oxazepam (Serax)
To make sure you can safely take alprazolam, tell your doctor if you have any of these other conditions:
- asthma, emphysema, bronchitis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD), or other breathing problems
- kidney or liver disease (especially alcoholic liver disease)
- a history of depression or suicidal thoughts or behavior; or
- a history of drug or alcohol addiction
Alprazolam may be habit forming and should be used only by the person it was prescribed for. Never share alprazolam with another person, especially someone with a history of drug abuse or addiction. Keep the medication in a place where others cannot get to it.
FDA pregnancy category D. Do not use alprazolam if you are pregnant. It could harm the unborn baby. Alprazolam may also cause addiction or withdrawal symptoms in a newborn if the mother takes the medication during pregnancy. Use effective birth control, and tell your doctor if you become pregnant during treatment.
Alprazolam can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. You should not breast-feed while you are using alprazolam.
The sedative effects of alprazolam may last longer in older adults. Accidental falls are common in elderly patients who take benzodiazepines. Use caution to avoid falling or accidental injury while you are taking alprazolam.
Do not give this medication to anyone under 18 years old.